Monday, February 7, 2011

Portfolio

Anyone who have been reading or have read my blog must have notice the address, www.criticalpieceofshit.blogspot.com.

I have been using it since Friendster had a space to write your own blogs. As the years went back, I still feel that it is an apt title for my ramblings and grumblings.

Until today.

I was tasked with an assignment that required me to write to an editor of a magazine, trying to sell a story idea.

Part of it included a letter, which I had to 'sell' myself, with my real credentials (not that I have any published works). As I typed my blog's address, I thought to myself, what if I had to write to a real editor one day, in hope that he/she will use my story?

I stopped immediately and look at what I had just typed. 'www.criticalpieceofshit.blogspot.com'.

"This is not going to get me any work," I thought to myself. "even if I am the best writer, people won't take me seriously!"

For the first time, I actually thought about my livelihood as a potential writer. For the first time, I pondered about changing the apt title that I had been using since 2003.

It feels like you have just sent in a job application, only to realised that the photo on it was the one you took from your Halloween party.

What now?

I do not think that I would change the address or the title of this blog. Maybe I would need to start a blog with a bit more seriousness and professional feel to it.

Being an adult, you start to consider your lifelihood, your future, in everything you do. Even when blogging is supposed to be fun, you cannot blog about this and that.

Everytime you wake up, you think about money, or how to make money. This is normal, but when you live in this expensive country, you think about it even more.

I think when I move into my house later in the year, these thoughts would preoccupy me even more.

1 comment:

red1902 said...

it's LIVELIHOOD... do spell check my bro! haahah