Sunday, May 9, 2010

Real-life 'bad' guys

For the record, my batchboy thought that the term 'Top Ten' was used to describe the most caring and kind colleagues in our company, when he started flying.

"How naive!" We all laughed at him.

The term 'Top Ten' in our company describes the most 'on-the-ball' people (usually the supervisors), that would reprimand, or write a complaint about our work performance to the company. They are known to be nit-picking, fussy, strict and harsh. Seeing their names on the list, strikes fear into many people's hearts. Some would choose avoidance, by swapping their flights or in extreme cases, take an MC.

Since I started this job, I had the 'privilege' of flying with most of them. Initially, I only knew a few. However, as time goes by, I met more from this 'elite' group.

Recently, I worked with CK, and it was my second time flying with him. I thought to myself, 'Aww shucks, whatever la,' as I could not be bothered to 'run away'.

During our briefing, his presence was commanding and his words are direct, but it may had sounded like a warning or threat to others.

He told us that we have to do our job well and if not he would have to do his. In short, we were told to do our best; conform to standards, and maintain discipline. The fear of being written in compelled us and we were on our best that day.

CK said something in the briefing room that made me recall my own past. 'Being right may not be correct, being correct may not be popular.'

This statement was to illustrate his management style. He would do the unpopular but correct things, like reprimanding for behaviour and attitude, writing in for poor work.

I recalled that I used to be like him in the army. I was strict and demanded discipline in my men. I was not friendly and kept a distance from them, in order to enforce certain unpopular regulation. I corrected their sloppiness and their attitudes in being a soldier. Everyone avoided me. In contrast to my other section commanders, I was the 'Top Ten'.

There was an incident where we had an appraisal in our platoon. Where all the soldiers have to write anonymous comments about the commanders. I wasn't surprised when the comments that I received were, 'Devil' and 'Very strict' among others.

Being correct means you have to be the bad guy, which is a role nobody wants in life.

Of course my men's discipline did not pick up, as I was the only bad guy in the whole platoon. The other commanders were like angels to them. There was too much inconsistencies. Like CK, I was isolated and did not have rapport with them.

That's why I empathise with CK; he was not being personal. It's all about work. Both of us never complain that we were unpopular, because that's the burden we carry when we decided to be enforcers.

In life, everyone wants to be the good guy. Politics, work, religion, society, school, you name it.

However, nobody wants to do the correct things. Like helping people in distress, standing up for your rights and telling people to behaviour themselves in public. Everyone was to keep quiet and appear popular, thinking that another person would take on the bane.

CK felt tired. There were more grey in his hair since 2 years ago. He told me he stepped on too many toes and was overlooked in his work. His behaviour is much demure now.

In the army, I also gave up after a while. It's called negative reinforcement. Do the correct things and yet get all the blame and no recognition. Anyone would feel tired.

So who are the real bad guys in life? Those who keeps quiet, does not counsel or correct wrong behaviour, let you rot and embarrass yourself, until you find out one day? Let you face the public with your zip undone or with bits of green stuck between your teeth?
Or are they individuals who take pride and ownership to correct on wrong behaviour, those who care enough to tell you that you have been doing the wrong things all this time, in the hope that you will not repeat your mistakes. Those who are stringent yet fair, picky but not personal.

You decide.

No comments: