Thursday, December 15, 2011

Year-end traditions

My exams are finally over, while waiting frantically for the results, my mind is a blank on what to do next.

The logical sequence would be to brush up my resume, and begin my job hunt. However, I have been procrastinating, as usual.

Brought out my Japanese language books from under a heap of rubbish and began blowing the dust on the covers. While it is meant as a revision (5 years late), I realised I do not have the same level of concentration 5 years ago.

My mind wanders, just like the many times that I lay in bed at night, wide awake after a run.

I totally forgotten my annual tradition of writing Christmas cards to my dear friends (hand-written, and not e-cards) . Better tie a string around my finger.

Maybe I need to bring along a notebook everywhere I go, and jot down things which are important. Oh yeah, I need to remind myself to bring along the notebook too, better tie another string for that.

The list goes on. Before all my 10 fingers are used up, I would like to plant some of my thoughts in cyberspace.

With New Year's Day around the corner, I am going to write down my resolutions. While this tradition has been going on forever, fulfilling them had been getting tougher over the years.

I need to get more realistic. Thus, 2012's resolution would be more down-to-earth, hopefully I would fulfill them before apocalypse.

1) Include a vegetarian meal once a day - Inspire by one of my campmates, who has gone vegetarian, I feel the need to curb my carnivorous habits. However, I cannot do it all at once. Thus, the above statement would help me along. Hopefully it improves my health too.

2) Avoid buffets and overeating - If I were to die from one of the seven sins, it would definitely be gluttony. With my metabolism getting slower, I need to have smaller meals and not stuff myself. I hope I can do that.

3) Avoid foods that make my stomach feel uncomfortable - This is a long list, but just to give you an idea, they are: Chilli, coconut milk, deep-fried, milk, cheese, curry, nasi lemak, chicken rice...etc
This is up there for the obvious reasons. However, in Asian cuisines, they are hard to avoid, hopefully I can enjoy my food, without them.

I feel that this three resolutions are ones that I may have a high chance of fulfilling. You may wonder why are they all related to food and eating habits.

Well, as the saying goes, 'You are what you eat'. As I get older, it's about time to take it easy on my body and not work my organs too hard. I have seen how difficult it is to deal with diseases and illness, and how taxing it is for family members to provide care and support. I do not wish to be a burden.

Whatever may your resolutions be, I hope you too, can fulfill them!

With about two weeks left in 2011, I would like to wish all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

No comments: