Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Expectations

As football (Proper British English) fever grips the world, fans all over celebrate this joyous occasion, which happens once every four years.

This is the first time that the tournament is held in Africa, and shows how far the continent has progressed.

As usual, there were shocking results from David vs Goliath-style matches. Spain losing to Switzerland, Japan beating Cameroon, and etc.

However, they were not as shocking as the fate of France and Italy.

Expectations were high for both former World Cup holders, and whose domestic league were fluorishing.


They were both knocked out in the first round.

The French did what they do best, by staging a 'revolution' within their squad and revolting against their coach, who was pretty lame but still coached them for 6 years.

The Italians were a bunch of uninspired old men, who were past their prime.

Just when punters around the world least expected, 2 of the favourites dropped out. (The English were no better, but by a simple twist of fate they scraped through)

Expect the unexpected, they say.

I can understand the full meaning of that phrase, when I checked my exam results online.

I got an 'F' for my Service Marketing module!

A former marketing student failing marketing. An employee of one of the world's best airline, reknown for excellent service, failing service marketing! (plus there was a question on airlines in the paper)

What a joke! How did I get my diploma? Sometimes I wonder.

This also markes the first time that I got an 'F' in my academic life. Although I keep mouthing Fs, it shocks me to see the physical form on paper.

The resit is due next year, as the module is only offered once a year. I have a year to reflect.

I guess the failure keeps me grounded and reminds me that good times don't last.

I wonder if the French and the Italians feel the same. After all, they have 4 years to think about their F.

No comments: